Thursday, December 15, 2005

Integrating Art and Mathematics

Elementary Arts Network members have challenged each other to focus on the art element "line" between now and our next meeting February 1, 2006.

Line: A line is defined as a mark with length and direction, created by a point that moves across a surface. A line can vary in length, width, direction, curvature, and color. Line can be two-dimensional (a pencil line on paper), three dimensional (wire), or implied.

In addition, we'd like to demonstrate how the arts can influence learning in other academic content areas and how they can combine with other subjects to build integrated curricula. Therefore, we'd like to see what happens when math and art meet. Post your lesson examples for integrated math and art. Share whatever you have in words or pitctures.

Take a look at the article, "Integrating Art and Mathematics" from the website for North Texas Institute for Educators on the Visual Arts. Click here for a link to the article. Consider adding your comment to this blog after reading the article.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ginger Liebl said...

Today while taking a 10-minute break I had my class draw a desert turtle. I was using a simple drawing book to guide my sketching. I was happy to discover my students using mathematical shape vocabulary to describe the steps for drawing the turtle before I was able to use the vocabulary myself. When we were finished my students were delighted to see that hexagons were the design on the turtle's shell. I was pleasantly pleased to see that my brief drawing break turned into an integrated lesson about how art and math do fit together and how having the correct vocabulary helped to make the verbal directions clearer. My students thought I had planned the lesson to fit with our math curriculum. I guess I shouldn't admit that I didn't realize that our break would turn into such a wonderful math teaching moment and I hadn't looked at the drawing before hand, but just picked a page.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Jo Ann Noel said...

In second grade we are studying Topic 7 in math (geometry and measurement). We used triangles, trapezoids, hexagons, rhombus', and squares to make a dinosaur picture (Unit 4 in Open Court). Love this thematic and integration of curriculum!

4:04 PM  
Blogger Sara McCormick said...

Recently second graders at Firgrove were working on the Reach Curriculum and we had read the story "How my Parents Learned to Eat" we were connecting an art project (drawing silverware) using a variety of lines. We brainstormed the different kinds of lines and the students instantly made the connection to the math vocabulary. The students were so suprised that they had used the line words in math and were now going to use them in art. The great conversations that happened were exciting hear.

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home